Monday, August 04, 2003

La Paz/Illimani Photos

For everyone that likes to see pictures - here are some shots from the last two weekends - rock climbing in la paz and my first attempt on Illimani (the mountain that looks down on la paz).

Unfortunately, I suck at rock climbing so far and we got blown off Illimani this weekend, so all these pics are of failure, us trying to get on top - nothing from the top.

After hitting my head on the rock wall last tuesday - it was time to get back to ice walls. Greg (the new gringo in town) and I headed for Illimani with a hired guide - Marco Antonio. Feeling confident, we headed up to the 21,000 foot peak that has take the lives of 5 people this year.

After reaching high camp after 2 days of trekking... we awoke at 1am on sunday morning to a "shit storm." The peak was hidden by clouds and the winds were howling. And thus ended our epic pursuit of Illimani. I guess I will have to endure that mountain giggling at me from my apartment windows each morning for a while longer.

And for anyone that actually reads these emails - my roommate finally paid rent. Although that money all went to the failed attempt on Illimani.

Here are the pics

Rock Climbing in La Paz - http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b325190ac409

Climbing Illimani - http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32519bac4b9

No comments: